1. We’ve been the most popular news site in the world for about the last two years. We lead the other big sites (CNN, MSNBC, AOL) by about 10 million more unique users a month. That may be hard to put in perspective, but listen to this: our count of unique users is around 34 million. That means we lead by about 1/4 of our total audience. Google News serves less than a third of Yahoo News’ traffic by users. [Source: Comscore.]
5. We love robots. We believe in automation, bringing you news faster than anyone else, and then using a small number of editors to make it even better. We update continuously, 24 hours a day and we obsess about how long it takes for new content takes to get on the site.
6. We’ve got more than just stories, photos and videos. We have a huge collection of comics (including Dilbert), funny stuff, obituaries (we know you read them), Today in History, and even lottery results. (Sorry, you didn’t win. Again.)
7. We’re a frickin’ RSS factory. We serve twice as many HTTP requests for our RSS feeds than we do for the whole rest of the site!
8. We’ll publish your news too. You Witness News is really cool integration of Flickr and Yahoo! Video that allows you to send us photos and videos of news events that you are there for, like the recent protest in Myanmar.
10. We need your help. We’re got tons of things going on in Local News, the upcoming Elections and even cooler stuff we can’t tell you about yet. We need smart people who love PHP, Unix, MySQL, dealing with ridiculous scaling problems and getting stuff done.
Want to get your work seen by millions of people? Do these sound like fun problems? Check out our current open job descriptions and send your resume to news-resumes at yahoo-inc.com.