March 04, 2005

Saratoga Creek Overlook #1

7:45 pm - Crap, I broke it.

I found the container quickly, but there was a lot of traffic, so I waited for a break.

At the right moment I grabbed the container and pulled it away. I felt a little tug and then it came free. Uh oh. I didn't expect that. I got out my flashlight and figured out what happened and realized I was not going to be able to fix the original cache.

I went back to the car and cobbled together a film can, a log sheet in a bag and some rare earth magnets.

I then put the cache back in the container, but using the magnets instead of the previous attachment method. It worked. I played with it some more to make sure it wouldn't fall out or get stuck. It got stuck. Uggh.

Some smacks on the pavement got the cache back out and I filled in some of the container to make sure that wouldn't happen again.

I replaced the container and I checked it again. I think it's all set to go now. Sorry for the trouble! Posted by jeff at March 4, 2005 07:45 PM